03 October 2009
15 July 2009
Experience is the best way to know the
Grab This Free Tool And Start Cranking Out Articles In 10 Minutes Or Less!
01 March 2009
Make an effort to attend formal functions
Large organizations like to organize functions for their employees or charity purposes. Make an effort to attend some of these functions, if not all. There is no use making up excuses as you will be found out later.
Do not raise conspicuous in your absence. People like to make guesses about those who are not around in any formal function. To the extreme, you will be branded as a ‘lone ranger’ or a ‘non team player’. This will hinder your career in future.
The best way is to attend the functions. Show your face to some very important people, shake some hands, say ‘hello’ to some office politicians and then make an early exit! It will be better if you can manage to get yourself photographed with some important people or co-workers (a proof to show your presence).
Develop good rapport with co-workers
Co-workers are important in a working environment. You will be able to learn many things from them. Co-workers are also the ones that will back you up whenever you face problems.
That is why you need to establish good rapport with your co-workers. No matter where you work, showing respect to them. You do not have to ‘butter’ them with anything. Just a friendly smile and greeting in the morning will do.
Treat everyone respectfully. Keep a smile on your face even though you are busy. Do not allow office politicians to have the chance to ruin your relationship with your co-workers.
1001 Best Things Ever Said About Work
12 February 2009
Be wary of tactics used by office politicians
Office politicians are always full of ideas to promote themselves; even if it means sacrificing others. You just cannot ignore them. You just have to be careful at all times.
Be aware of your work relationships in any office politic game. You will find that certain people have ‘double faces’. They will not mind betraying others to get what they want; be it a little attention or the coming ‘important’ projects.
What are some of the tactics office politicians used? Some of the certain tactics are very clear while some are hidden. There will be office gossiping, backstabbing, buck-passing, buttering up the boss, trouble-making, etc.
The hidden ones will be sending and forwarding chained ‘poison’ mails to co-workers and bosses, sending faxes, short messaging and etc to degrade someone in the organization.
There is no way to outplay office politicians; they are there long before you join the organization. Just take care of yourself!
Never criticize co-workers’ work openly
Criticizing a co-worker’s work openly is like sentencing yourself to an isolated island for life! You will be boycotted by other co-workers who are friends with this co-worker. Unless you can manage your projects without any help, otherwise, do not open your mouth at all.
Always be pleasant even when you receive poor grade works from your co-workers. Tell them to redo the work tactfully. Praise them if you need to but do not over do it.
Praising openly is better than criticizing. However, you will never know who is listening. The best way is to be as pleasant as you can and always go to work with an open attitude.
Office politics is not something one can ignore easily especially when there are more than two people working together in an organization. You may scorn at those who use office politics to be successful; yet, the very same game can help to promote to your own cause.
Many bosses like to be buttered up by his/her subordinates (Many, not all). That is why some office politicians are quite successful in their ‘careers’; whether you like it or not.
Skillful office politicians rise faster in their career than real politicians.
Observe the basics of office politics
The first and basic of office politics is when your co-workers grouped together to flatter the boss. They want to get on the good side of the boss so they will agree with whatever the boss says.
Do not get involve with these co-workers before you know what they are up to. A newbie in office politics must observe quietly. You will be able to learn who’s who and who has the last say. It is very interesting!
Do not choose sides openly. Even if your friends are involved actively, be reminded not to join them; at least, not openly.
Socialize with your co-workers
This is the way to get along with your co-workers. Let them know that you have no intention of joining them in their office games but you are willing to socialize with them. Join them for lunches and tea breaks when you are invited to.
Avoid talking about work during social outings. Some people just do not know how to relax. Be polite and courteous to everyone. Be tactful; but with enough diplomacy to avoid alienating them.
You may need to distinguish the invites by some co-workers are just being friendly instead of playing office politics. Do not upset them by being suspicious of their good intentions. That is why quiet observation works best to know who’s who in an office!
21 January 2009
07 January 2009
Many people face problems in their workplace. Quitting a job means sacrificing some luxuries in one’s life. Although it is not the end of the world, many people would still take some time to consider.
However, when you feel so sick of your current job, you would not think of hanging on for another minute. The next thing you would do is to walk out, not even to say good bye to your current colleagues.
Before you do that, take some time to ponder on these questions. If you answer more than 10 ‘Yes’, you can start taking action now.
- Your job is making you physically ill
- You are being asked to do some things which are unethical or illegal.
- You can afford to quit your job now.
- You received a new job offer that is much better than the present job.
- You have fewer responsibilities than before.
- You have been excluded in ‘important’ meetings.
- You have more experience than your job requires.
- You have been neglecting your family because of your job.
- You are weary of your present job, you wanted more responsibilities but know that you won’t get that now.
- You have difficulty in getting along with your co-workers.
- You don’t get along with your boss.
- Your boss does not respect your opinions and always cracks demeaning jokes behind your back.
- You received an unsatisfactory performance review even though you are the star employee.
- You think it is time for a career change because there is nothing much you can contribute to the organization.
- Your current employer instituted many new policies that you are unhappy about.
- You are tired of the long commute to work every morning.
- You didn’t get the promotion you deserved just because you dislike office politics.
- You are sick of your colleagues who endlessly gossip about other people.
- You want to start a small business on your own.
- Your organization has decided to stop paying for the extra allowances you have been receiving.
- Your decisions are often overruled by your boss.
Well, how many “YES” did you get? It is never fun to walk away from a good paying job, especially during the economic slowdown like this. Think if you can get a better offer elsewhere?
Maybe these measures can help you to rethink about your decision to quit.
- Figure out what you like and dislike about your job. Think carefully. This is very important. There is no such thing as you dislike ‘everything’ about your job.
Take your time while listing. It is important that you are relaxed and calm at this moment.
- Check your own attitude. Your attitude may be the source of all ‘evils’ around you. There is no need to point your fingers at anyone when things go wrong. Remember that not every one can tolerate your attitude too. Change your attitude and get on with life!
- Study your boss. Now, even if your boss is well-known as a difficult person to work with, you cannot change your boss unless you change jobs. So, you have to be flexible. Study your boss’ body and spoken language. Maybe you have not been kind to your boss either. Instead of supporting him with good ideas and proposals, you have decided to go against his wishes. Although you are a capable person, it is not wise to do so while that person is still your boss.
- Make decisions that involve your colleagues. Do not complain against them. Your boss will be happier if you would volunteer to organize an event or two with your colleagues instead of you doing them alone.
Motivate your colleagues instead of laughing at them. You will find that the team works better together. You do not have to be the team leader. Motivated team players are getting more things done than a bossy leader.
- Act as an advocate instead of an adversary. No boss likes to hear the phrase, “It’s impossible” from his staff. This phrase is considered taboo and it shows that you are not motivated to tackle any problems at all. All bosses like to think that their staff are capable. They like to think that their staffs are visionaries like them too. Even if the projects failed, at least their staff tried.
- So, you receive an unsatisfactory performance review. What is so bad about that? Find out if the review is accurate. Have a talk with your boss concerning your recent performance. If you think it is truly unfair, talk again to the reviewer. Nobody wants to make others look bad. If the review is true, it is time to take charge of your attitude. It is never too late to change.
- You must not work alone. Always stress on working as a team. When you work in a team, assignments get done easily as everybody is helping one another. Compliment your colleagues for getting their work done. A short compliment goes a long way.
- If you are doing work which you have little interest in, do something about it. Discuss with your boss on how you can contribute value to your team. Your boss will definitely appreciate your effort.
- Difficult to get along with your co-workers? Have you checked your attitude toward them? Have you really sacrifice time to listen to their opinions? Do you like them at all? Have you complimented them? Many times, conflicts between co-workers happened because of indifferent attitudes. Check if this is how you treat your co-workers.
- You have been marginalized in many important projects. All right, it hurts to be sidelined for no apparent reason. Discuss with your boss to find out what is going on. There maybe hints from your boss for you to leave the organization. Take them calmly. You make the decision when to leave.
Do not give in to the pressure and quit just like that. Leave in good terms; just like people say, ‘Don’t burn bridges’. You may need their help later on too.
- After a few years of hard work, you have outgrown your job. However, due to your lack of ‘office politics’ skills, you have been left out in the past promotion. You can decide to move on to another organization which offers better pay and fringe benefits. However, you will need to readjust yourself in the new situation all over again. Unless the new offer is too good to resist, you can wait a little longer.
- New policies are always disturbing. However, study the policies carefully. Make sure you know where to channel your dissatisfactions. Do not be agitated when you are presenting your views and arguments to your boss. All bosses want their staff to accept the policies they implemented. He will listen to your views if you will listen to his reasons.
- If you are ill because of your current work, discuss with your boss and ask for alternatives. When there no other way you can continue working, a change of job is the best option. Leave only after you have received the new job offer.
- When your children grew up without your knowledge, it shows how much you have neglected your family. At this time, slow down and check your priority – work or family. Your children can live on happily without the best of life, but can they be happy without your attention? If spending time with your family is your priority, you can discuss with your boss to handle less projects. If things did not work, you may consider applying for other jobs.
- You have heard so much about people working at home and earning much more than you do. You also want to do the same. A forewarning here is that, the ‘home based’ job may be easy, but also involves a lot of self motivations and preservation. You are doing things alone and there will be nobody to help you.
There you are. You know it is difficult to make such a choice. So, sleep over it. Quitting your job in a hurry is not going to help you in any way. Give yourself some time to think clearly before making any decision. Whatever you decide, always believe in yourself!
Use What Have Learned